Electricity is a must if you are planning an outdoor event such as a wedding, festival, or a party. To have a successful event, music, lighting, and other special effects are to be used to keep people entertained and happy. All of them require electricity.
A reliable source of power is not always nearby on such venues, so it’s important to have a power back-up plan that can accommodate whatever or wherever the venue may be. And, thanks to technological advances, we don’t need to have a very long extension cord to get that. A portable generator would do the job. No need to worry about not having access to grid power.
There are a variety of generators for events. They come in all shapes and sizes that can accommodate just about any event size whether big or small.
Why Own your own Event Generator than Renting?
Reaching out to a company to rent generators may be your initial thought when planning your outdoor event. But —-- why not consider owning one instead?
If you are planning events frequently, renting can be costly especially if the rented units may not precisely meet your power needs. It is quite the investment initially but if you’re going to use it multiple times you’re going to recover your investment as you don’t have to incur rental costs every time.
On average, the cost of renting a commercial generator can go between $200 to $800 per week, depending on the generator’s size. And, these are likely going to require fuel to run. But if you buy instead, let’s say Nature’s Generator Lithium 1800 which is about $999.99. You’ll easily get your money’s worth and no need to worry about refueling since it runs through a renewable source of energy. (But be sure to contact us to make sure that you get the right generator for your event.)
Besides powering your events, you may also use the generator back at home as a backup source of power during emergency situations and outages.
Tips When Looking for the Right Generator To Power your Events
Determine how much power you’ll need - this is the most important factor when considering your options. If the generator is too small then it won’t be able to power all of your equipment. If the generator is too big then that’s a waste of money. Start by checking the things that require power, the size of your event, and its duration.
For small weddings, you may only require a 500-watt generator unit which is about 2,000 watts at 120 volts. But if you need lights and sounds then it can go between a 1,000-watt (4,000 watts at 120 volts) unit and 2,000 watts (8,000 watts at 120 volts) unit. And, if the wedding is going to run longer than usual then you may need a larger set-up than usual.
- Your event’s location - this should be considered as it will affect the solar generator’s efficiency and charging time. Being in a sunny place is the perfect location to fully take advantage of its capabilities.
- Know your noise level - generators can be really loud. Depending on your type of event and the venue’s guidelines on noise, you may want to refrain from getting generators that have a loud noise when in use. But if you’re using a solar generator like Nature’s that won’t be a problem as they don’t emit loud noises. This means that you can focus on running a high-quality event without any distractions and irritation because of the noisy generator.
- Be properly equipped - make sure to have the right electrical equipment (i.e. cable sizes, extension cords, etc.) and that they are compatible with your generator. You may also want to check how many outlets you’re going to need when looking for your generator.
- Read the safety guidelines - everyone’s safety is top priority when using a generator. Be sure to read the manual and safety guidelines during installation and upon usage to make sure that every box is checked and looked after.
- Reach out to the professionals - not everyone is an electrical expert, don’t be scared to reach out to your local experts to make sure that you and your guests are safe and that every electrical connection is secured and functioning.
Solar Generator for Events
We are used to seeing generators that rely on fuel to run during events. They can look quite rugged and emit loud sounds compared to solar generators.
For those skeptical about using solar power, here are some big events that turned to the sun for electricity:
- Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival - A four-day festival held in Manchester, Tennessee had a 50-kilowatt solar project that was crowdfunded. This initiative powered 20% of the electricity needed by the event.
- Glastonbury Festival 2019 - As one of the biggest and most iconic music festivals in the world, the festival advocated for the use of clean energy by installing over 2,000 solar panels. These powered the 3-day event’s various bars, infrastructure, and stages.
- Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 2019 - The festival had the biggest temporary solar energy farm installed in 2019. It can generate more or less 16 million kWh of clean energy annually.
- 2023 Asia Model Festival - A big fashion event that collaborated with a solar generator company to electrify their show in India in September 2023. The generators rose to the occasion, proving that renewable energy can be a reliable source for large-scale events. This partnership's main goal is to raise awareness on the importance of sustainable energy solutions.
Getting the Right Generator for Your Event
If you are planning to host an event and are considering using a solar generator, be sure to do a thorough research and pick the right specification for your needs.
And, if you’re unsure about which generator to get for your event, you may reach out to our team of experts, who will assist you in finding the most cost-effective and suitable option for your event needs. With them on your side, you can be confident that you’ll get the perfect generator for you and your event.
* We want to give credit where credit is due. Professional writer, Cris Ilao, contributed research and content to this blog titled: Generators for Events Thank you, Cris, for your contributions!